Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 2: Tell us about your children.

Cooper,

Day 2: Tell us about your child(ren). As much or as as little as you like. Names, birthdates, stats.

Sweet boy, you have an older sibling.  A brother or sister, I do not know.  But you do.  I hope you are together looking down at us.  We thought we were pregnant last year in March and took a test but it wasn't positive.  I went home to visit family and we still thought I might be pregnant.  When I came back home, I took another test and this one was positive.  We were so excited about that baby.  But it was short lived.  About two weeks later, I started bleeding on a Sunday night.  I called he doctor the next morning and they had me come in and run a few tests.  They called back later that day and said I just had an infection and the baby was fine.  I continued to bleed and I called them back.  They sent me for an ultrasound just to make sure the baby was fine and sadly when we went, there was nothing.  We had lost our baby, your sibling.

And then you came along baby.  We found out we were pregnant with you in January.  Daddy knew I had to be pregnant again.  First, you must know that I'm a pretty picky eater.  I tend to eat the same things over and over again.  But your daddy will eat just about anything. I made something new for dinner.  Your daddy HATED it but I craved it all week long. I went grocery shopping and your dad told me to pick up a pregnancy test.  I told him I knew I wasn't.  But I was wrong, it took all of 30 seconds for the test to read PREGNANT.  We were so excited!   You were due September 25, 2011.  But my body decided that you were going to come early.  Almost 6 weeks early.  I had Pre-Eclampsia and my kidneys and liver had started to shut down by the time, the doctors figured everything out.  For my safety and for you as well, they decided you need to come out.  You were stubborn and hadn't flipped yet, so I need a c-section.  You were born when I was 34 weeks and 5 days on August 19, 2011 a 9:29 PM.  You were 4 lbs, 14 oz.  I remember they held you over the curtain and I saw that you had my nose.  Daddy noticed it right away too.  You looked just like your dad.  But you had my nose and my chin.  You were perfect to us.  You hated being cold and would look like you were going to cry anytime they unwrapped you or if you needed your diaper changed.  You would make these faces like you were going to let out a big cry but then you'd just close your mouth and eyes and fall back asleep.  You never really cried much, just made us and your nurses think you were going to cry.  And by the way, your nurses loved you sooo much.  You were such a strong little guy, even your doctors were impressed with how healthy you were.

And then you got sick little one.  No one expected it because you were doing so well.  A doctor called us on Friday, August 26 and told us that there was something wrong and they were going to run some tests.  I knew instantly that something was very wrong.  Your daddy kept trying to tell me it was nothing but I knew something was very wrong.  We thought we would still just go at our normal time.  But then they called back and said that you were having trouble breathing and needed some help.  We raced up to see you and that's when they said you had NEC.  You had something called Necrotizing Enterocolitis. It's an infection preemies can get.  It's an infection in the lining of the intestines.  Bubbles form and then the bowels perferate.  Sometimes babies need surgery.  Where the bubbles form, it means that the intestines is dying.  You had a very severe case of it Cooper.  You got very sick very fast.  The doctors had hope for you in the beginning but then you continued to get sick very fast.  They did everything that they could for you.  On Sunday when I got there, you were very sick and they were having problems with your heart.  It just couldn't handle how sick you had become.  They helped you stay alive until your daddy could come to the hospital. And then you grew your wings and flew away.  And that's your story son.  Your 9 days you spent here with us.  They meant so much to us and we'll remember you always our first born son.

And here you are, this is one of my favorite pictures or you.  Your daddy took it.


love you,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment